I’ve been away for a while, but I’m back. I miss you guys. As we can see we are in summer! And who doesn´t love summer? When I hear that word, the first thing that comes to my mind is vacations, the sun, sand or snow, travel and new adventures. Well, for these adventures to be memorable and incredible we need a traveling companion and who better than our furry friend? who is an important member of the family and cannot be left
Many times, we feel afraid when we want to travel with our dog because we worry about their well-being. I thank Puppyspot for giving me the idea to create some simple but essential tips to take into consideration when traveling with our dogs.
The first thing we must consider is to take the time to plan everything so you and your dog can have a more relaxed and stress-free ride. It is important to know the personality of our dogs and if they are unstable or stable as this will tell us if the trip will be rewarding. It is important to always encourage the mental stability of our dogs and avoid attacks of stress and anxiety. Also, if you are a person who likes to travel, when it comes to adopting or buying a dog you must train and prepare it so that your puppy will feel comfortable traveling. But, if after having several years with your dog and now you decide to travel, it is clearly more difficult to train, but with several small tests before the big trip he can get used to going out.
Not everyone likes to travel by plane as it usually causes a lot of stress and anxiety. Well, the same thing happens to our dogs. Before you taking a plane with your dog, you should keep the following in mind:
• You must call the airline and check if your dog can travel or not, since in several countries and airlines some races, sizes, even ages are restricted.
• You must present your dog’s current medical certificate.
• Get a cage that is comfortable for the dog and where there aren’t harmful objects. Before putting it in the cage, it is good that the dog has exercised. This will increase its desires to rest. You should not present the cage as if it were a prison, your dog should enter the cage on its own and then close it. Also, you should avoid using a sad tone of voice as “Mommy will come back soon” as it can make him anxious, to avoid anxiety returns to the cage every 10 or 15 minutes.
• It is better not to medicate your dog. Some airlines do not allow it. Plus you avoid any risk of drug dependence.
• You can carry any object that is familiar and keep him relaxed like his favorite teddy or blanket. You can also give it a massage with essential lavender oil that will keep him relaxed.
By car, beach or walking
• When you are in the car it is better to use a dog safety belt so you can avoid letting him moving around the car or distracting you while driving. you can use a cage as well to avoid that if you brake suddenly he doesn’t hurt himself.
• Always have water, food and poop bags
• If you are getting out of the car, take it with you. Especially in hot days. Even if you think you can leave your dog with the windows down, this is really a mistake because the car will warm up faster and your dog will dehydrate
• Put a tag with the information of the dog: name, address, and phone. Even better, you can use a microchip so you know where exactly your dog is in case it gets lost.
• If you want to go to the beach, check beforehand on which beaches allow dogs. Some beaches can be fined.
• If you want to know what places are pet-friendly you can use the site or app of Bring Fido, which is excellent if you are looking for hotels, restaurants, activities or events where you can take your dog, and it’s worldwide! Just place your destination and it will show you all the options available.
I hope you liked this post. I wish you have a wonderful summer with your furry companion. There are no excuses for not to travel with your dog. Leave your comment and tell me where you plan to spend this summer with your dog?